If you choose to apply a liquid membrane as a water barrier for your built up shower pan, there are many things you need to consider as part of your whole waterproofing strategy. A liquid membrane is only effective if applied per the manufacturers requirements, this means that you must not try to apply over large crevices and final thickness after several applied coatings should be consistent across the entire shower pan. To further ensure that the strength of the liquid membrane is effective, at each seam and change of plane of the shower pan, you can add a fiber mesh tape during the application. After the liquid membrane has been applied to your built up shower pan, it is imperative that you first test it with a 24 hour soak and then protect it from foot traffic and punctures from tools or equipment.
Custom Building Products – Redgard Waterproofing
A ready-to-use elastomeric waterproofing membrane for both commercial and residential tile and stone application. Suited for interior and exterior substrates, RedGard® creates a continuous waterproof membrane barrier with outstanding adhesion and reduces crack transmission in tile and stone floors. It bonds directly to clean metal drains, PVC, stainless steel and ABS drain assemblies and can be used as a slab-on-grade moisture vapor barrier under all types of floor coverings.
- Ready to use – Roll it on
- Quick dry formula
- Listed with IAPMO for use as a shower pan liner
- Easy to use and can be applied by roller, trowel or airless sprayer
- Rated for extra heavy duty service
- Reduces curing time with quick-dry formula
- Isolates cracks to 1/8″ (3 mm)
- Suitable for waterproofing pools, spas and water features
- Meets Uniform Plumbing Code specifications for use as a shower pan liner
- Obtained the Notice of Acceptance (NOA) for Miami-Dade County
Laticrete Hydro Ban
HYDRO BAN® is a thin, load bearing waterproofing/crack isolation membrane that DOES NOT require the use of fabric in the field, coves or corners.
- Allow for flood testing in 2 hours at 70°F (21°C) or higher¥
- Does not require the use of fabric.*
- Bonds directly to metal, PVC and ABS plumbing fixtures only
- Thin; only 0.020–0.030″ (0.5–0.8 mm) thick when cured
- Changes in color from a light sage to an olive green when cured
- Anti-fracture protection of up to 1/8″ (3 mm) over shrinkage and other non-structural cracks
- “Extra Heavy Service” rating per TCNA performance levels (RE: ASTM C627 Robinson Floor Test)
- Exceeds ANSI A118.10 and A118.12
- IAPMO approved
- Rapid drying for a faster time to tile
- Lighter color for ease of inspection
- Safe—no solvents and non-flammable
- Install tile, brick and stone directly onto membrane
- * For gaps 1/8″ (3 mm) or less see DS 663.5 for complete instructions
- ¥ Refer to cautions section for more information on curing
Laticrete Hydro Barrier
HYDRO BARRIER™ is a thin, load bearing, self curing liquid rubber polymer which can be easily applied to form a flexible, seamless waterproof anti-fracture membrane.
- Allows for flood testing in 24 hours.*
- Thin; only 0.020–0.030″ (0.5–0.8 mm) thick when cured.
- Changes in color from a light blue to darker blue when cured.
- Anti-fracture protection of up to 1/8″ (3 mm) over shrinkage and other non-structural cracks.
- “Extra Heavy Service” rating per TCNA performance levels (RE: ASTM C627 Robinson Floor Test).
- Exceeds ANSI A118.10 and A118.12.
- Fast curing; allows foot traffic in 4–6 hours @ 70°F (21°C), 50% RH.
- Lighter color for ease of inspection.
- Safe—no solvents and non-flammable.
- Install tile, brick and stone directly onto membrane.
- * When cured 70°F (21°C) or higher at 50% RH lower temperature at higher RH will require long cure times.
How to Use RedGard® Liquid Waterproofing and Crack Prevention Membrane
How to Install a Liquid Membrane in a Shower Floor
How to Roll On Waterproofing Membrane in Shower Pan
- The Dryden collection offers a full complement of coordinating products to create the perfect look
- Utilizes the MultiChoice® Universal rough-in feature
- Thermostatic valve with volume control
- Two function cartridge - lever controls volume and dial controls temperature
- TempAssure Thermostatic valves monitor the temperature of the water and adjust the mix automatically to maintain precise temperature control and to keep the water temperature in your shower within a safe plus or minus 3 Degree Fahrenheit
- Available in chrome, Champagne Bronze, Brilliance® Stainless or Venetian Bronze®